The Adventures of the Stephens Family

Tuesday, December 5, 2023

Dear Lily


I've been having a hard time adjusting

I had the shiniest wheels, now they're rusting

I didn't know if you'd care if I came back

I have a lot of regrets about that

 

Pulled the car into the driveway and looked out
I followed my fears and didn't get out
And maybe I don't quite know what to say
But I'm here in your driveway

 

I just wanted you to know
That this is me trying
I just wanted you to know
That this is me trying

 

She lied and told you all of my cages were mental
So I got quiet and wasted all my potential
because my silence keeps her from getting so mad

I have a lot of regrets about that

 

You were my world, shaped like a sphere
I didn't stand up for us, and we ended up here
Pouring out my heart to my family
But I didn't pour the whiskey

 

I just wanted you to know
That this is me trying
I just wanted you to know
That this is me trying
At least I'm trying

 

And it's hard to be at a party when I feel like an open wound
It's hard to be anywhere these days when all I miss is you

You're a flashback in a film reel on the one screen in my town

 

And I just wanted you to know

That this is me trying
(And maybe I don't quite know what to say)
I just wanted you to know
That this is me trying
At least I'm trying



No comments: